top of page

TO (ref: 42727210) - Dr Shantanu Panigrahi

TO (ref: 42727210) - Dr Shantanu Panigrahi




HMCTS Customer Service (Correspondence) <>


Thu, 20 Jul at 10:30

TO: 42727210

Dear Dr Panigrahi,

Thank you for your email of 23 June addressed to the Rt Hon Alex Chalk as Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice about your case. Your email has been passed to HM Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) as the agency responsible for the administration of the courts and tribunals in England and Wales and I’ve been asked to reply.

I understand you remain unhappy with the decision by the judge ordering you to pay the defendant’s costs. I hope you’ll understand that Mr Chalk or any other government official cannot comment on or intervene in any decisions made by a judge. This isn’t through lack of concern for the issues you raise but is because of the independence of the judiciary. The only way to challenge a decision is by making the appropriate application or appeal. I realise my reply will be disappointing.

I am aware Richard Redgrave, Head of Customer Investigation wrote to you on 29 June 2021 regarding the concerns you continue to raise. Whilst I appreciate your strength of feeling about this, there’s nothing more we can usefully add, so we won’t be replying to you about this again. This includes any correspondence about it that you send to ministers or officials, such as the Lord Chancellor.

I can see from your email that you received an auto response from the North Kent Magistrates’ Court on 23 June and have stated in your email to Mr Chalk on 23 June that you’re still waiting for a response. If you would like to make a complaint about the way court has responded to your correspondence, you can do so by writing to them directly at the first stage of HMCTS’ complaints procedure. More information on how to do this is available at: . We use our complaints to learn and change.

I realise you are also concerned that you haven’t received a response from the Kent Police. We’re unable to look into complaints about the police as they’re separate to HMCTS. Information about how to complain about the Kent Police is available at:

You may want to seek independent advice about the options available. You can:

contact Citizens Advice for free, impartial advice. Information about the service they offer is available on their website:

contact Support Through Court, who offer advice to people going through the court system alone. Their website is:

phone Civil Legal Advice on 0345 345 4 345. They can help find appropriate local advice services

see if the information you need is available at:

find a legal adviser at:

I realise my reply will be disappointing but I hope it explains why Mr Chalk or any other official is unable to intervene in your case in the way you’d like.

Yours sincerely

Bhavesh Patel

Customer Investigations Team | HMCTS |



Here is how HMCTS uses personal data about you

This e-mail and any attachments is intended only for the attention of the addressee(s). Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies and inform the sender by return e-mail. Internet e-mail is not a secure medium. Any reply to this message could be intercepted and read by someone else. Please bear that in mind when deciding whether to send material in response to this message by e-mail. This e-mail (whether you are the sender or the recipient) may be monitored, recorded and retained by the Ministry of Justice. Monitoring / blocking software may be used, and e-mail content may be read at any time. You have a responsibility to ensure laws are not broken when composing or forwarding e-mails and their contents.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


IS THIS OF INTEREST? Yahoo/Sent Shantanu Panigrahi Tue, 18 Jun at 12:00 Dear Georgia I thought that you should be aware of this sinis

Re: Digital PR

Re: Digital PR Inbox from:    Shantanu Panigrahi <> to:          Leslie Morgan <> date:     18 Jun 2024, 11:46 subject:               Re: Digital PR


bottom of page